Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -AssetScope
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:20:22
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (62198)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Chad Daybell sentenced to death in triple murder by Idaho jury
- Swimmer injured by shark attack on Southern California coast
- Some hurricanes suddenly explode in intensity, shocking nearly everyone (even forecasters)
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- A German Climate Activist Won’t End His Hunger Strike, Even With the Risk of Death Looming
- Below Deck Med's Captain Sandy Yawn Reveals Which Crewmembers She Misses Amid Cast Shakeup
- Taylor Momsen of The Pretty Reckless bitten by a bat onstage: 'I must really be a witch'
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Chad Daybell sentenced to death for murdering first wife, stepchildren in 'doomsday' case
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Boeing Starliner's first astronaut flight halted at the last minute
- Taylor Momsen of The Pretty Reckless bitten by a bat onstage: 'I must really be a witch'
- Firefighters make progress, but wildfire east of San Francisco grows to 14,000 acres
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Massachusetts teacher on leave after holding mock slave auction, superintendent says
- Border mayors heading to DC for Tuesday’s immigration announcement
- Shooting at South Carolina block party leaves 2 dead, 2 wounded, police say
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Canadian serial killer Robert Pickton, known for bringing victims to pig farm, dead after prison assault
Mississippi officials oppose plan to house migrant children at old Harrah’s Tunica hotels
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid vs. RAV4 Prime: How to find the right compact SUV for you
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Costco's $1.50 hot dog price 'is safe,' company's new leadership announces
More women made the list of top paid CEOs in 2023, but their numbers are still small compared to men
Austin Cindric scores stunning NASCAR win at Gateway when Ryan Blaney runs out of gas